Saturday, March 19, 2011

Forrest Gump

I don't know why, but every single time I run I think of Forrest Gump.  I talk to God, think of Holden, Chet, other Hope Babies and their families; but I also always think of Forrest Gump.  I have no idea really why he pops in my mind.  It's probably because I wish I had the stamina and love for running like him.  Maybe because I too look a little ridiculous running through Snyder's neighborhoods, trying not to die.

Erin, hey, why didn't you suggest we just eat a box of chocolates together instead??  I would have still been able to think of Forrest Gump. :)

Today's run was my last "long" run before our 1/2 marathon in Dallas next weekend.  I ran alone and had a lot of time to reflect on the reason why we started running in the first place.  First I thought about the place I was in last year at this time.  I was bubbly, excited and confident.  Eager to be a mommy.  Running was no where on my mind, and certainly not 13.1 miles.  Actually, baby bedding was on my mind.  I think I drove my poor co-workers a little batty discussing colors and patterns of baby bedding (good thing it is kind of socially unacceptable to hit a pregnant girl, because I think they would have liked to).  Now I read a lot of blogs and Facebook updates from giddy mommies-to-be, simply perplexed over which shade of yellow to paint the baby's room.  I was one of them.  Even though it hurts to read about, the joy in parenting is still so wonderful to me.  I hope that with any future children, Lord willing, we can still have that anticipatory joy.

I reflected on my conversation with Erin today.  His plans for our families are so great.  As I ran, I actually got excited about what He has in store for our families.  The feeling surprised me a little.  It is turning myself, my plans, over to Him...completely, 100% over to Him, that is the hard part.  But I know the rewards are more wonderful than we can imagine.  I thought about all the awesome things that have happened when I've let Him be in control.

Then I thought of His faithfulness.  I know for a fact that I would have given up a long time ago (let's just say it crosses my mind each time I lace up my shoes), if it weren't for the strength He has given me.

Lastly, I thought about the fact that by the time I finished running, there would be approximately 4 more families affected by stillbirth (in the U.S. alone).  Four more families experiencing incredible hurt, too painful to describe.  26,000 stillbirths occur annually in the U.S., leaving families searching for answers.  The worst part is that many of them are living without the blessed hope of being reunited with their babies again.  I also thought about the thousands of people dying daily (that means TODAY, March 19, 2011), hopeless, because of the water they are forced to drink.   Hope Mommies and Holden Uganda are two organizations I cannot ever thank the Lord enough for. 

  For you are great and do marvelous deeds; you alone are God.  Psalm 86:10


Both Erin and I hope to spread the love of the Lord in 7 days.  We didn't choose to bake cakes or wash cars as means of raising money.  We chose running.  Running is something that is not naturally easy for us, so it will be an accomplishment to cross the finish line.  We are running for HOPE.  Hope for Moms who have experienced infant loss, and hope for Ugandans to drink life-sustaining/saving water.  $13 does a lot to spread hope and love.  Please consider pledging $1 per mile (13 miles) to Hope Mommies and/or Holden Uganda.

I close with this beautiful thing:  Youth from our church presented Holden Uganda with $500 this week!!  Because of their diligent work for the Kingdom, we are sending in funds for another well on Monday.  Real, honest LOVE from a child brings me to tears.

We are humbled.

6 comments:

  1. Sarah, what was i thinking??? I love chocolates. :)

    I'm so blessed to know you, serve alongside you, rejoice with you in God's weird plan for our lives, eagerly anticipating that Day. what a day that will be.

    i'll see you on friday, ready to eat TONS of pasta and carbs and get our run on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is so happy with the efforts of the youth to raise money for HUF! So amazing!

    You and Erin are a beautiful inspiration to so many. I watched the story of Hadasha tonight and thought about the trials she went through to save her "people". You are like Hadasha, princesses of the Lord. You are going through trials and tribulations to save His people, your brothers and sisters. Your crowns will be great and full of jewels in the kingdom of God. Keep going my beautiful sisters, I believe in you but most of all God believes in you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this makes me smile. It's inspiring what you two are doing and I thank God for putting both of you in my path during this difficult journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, wishing you all the best!!! Enjoy the 1/2 next week. Holden will be pushing you on. What an inspiration....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so awesome Sarah! SO happy about the $500 from the youth!
    And I am praying for you and the run, and yes, little Holden will be looking down on you and pushing you on! :)

    ReplyDelete