Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hungry

My first thoughts as I read Luke 4 this evening, were that I was thankful for another reminder that our Savior came as a Man, who had the same feelings and emotions we do.  I often make God out to be this "non-formative being" who is too different to really understand.  But He felt hunger and thirst just like we do.

He was even tempted like us.  The One who created Satan, was tempted by him.  That is just how human He was.

Okay, as my coworkers know, I can barely go 40 minutes without snacking.  You don't really want to be in contact with me if I am 8 hours from my last bite.  I hate to admit this, but I am one of the only Christians I know who has never fasted.  My kind of fasting are the hours between dinner and breakfast, and I never, ever skip breakfast.

Jesus did not eat for 40 days!  After being as faint as anyone would be after not eating for 40 days, He was offered the entire world (on top of some food) if he would worship the devil.  We all know Jesus did not worship the devil, even in the extremely weak condition He was in.

And then Jesus had to resist the devil as he tempted Him even more.

I read this passage several times tonight and thought about what kind of struggle that must have been.  How easy would it have been to make a choice to eat?  How about the choice to show off how powerful He was by jumping off the pinnacle?

This passage depicts what kind of strength we can draw from God.  Jesus was born a human being.  He understands our every thought, emotion and feeling.  As much as it seems that He has forsaken me at times, I know He hasn't.

In my weakness, He is strong.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment